MD/PhD Programme
   Open Positions
   Admission & Registration
   Information for    International Students

Open Position


+49 (0) 69/798-29801



before coming to Frankfurt


Before coming
to Frankfurt

The International Office and the Deutsche Studentenwerk have further information about coming and staying in Germany.


  Univ. of Frankfurt International Office
  Infos by the Deutsche Studentenwerk
  Frankfurt Univ. at a Glance



  • Language test: 
    We do not require a TOEFL test or any other formal language test.  However, you need to be able to read, write and understand English which will be “tested” during the interview.
    There is no requirement for sufficiency in German, but knowing the language is certainly helpful and we will encourage you to learn German.  German courses for international are available at the University.

  • Qualification needed:
    To enter the FIRST PhD programme, you have to have a Master-degree from a recognised university. The University/Faculty checks your certificates together with the International Office of the University and sometimes with the Assist Office in Bonn. If the BSc/MSc degrees are not considered equivalent to the German degree, you will have to attend a number of extra courses. If you have a Bachelor-degree only or a Fachochschulabschluss, you will have to enrol for a qualification year and will be asked to attend a number of courses and pass an exam.

  • Entry into Germany/Visa:
    Citizens from the following countries do NOT require a visa:
    - EU and EEA countries (Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein)
    - Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland, United States, Andorra, Honduras, Monaco, San Marino
    Citizens form the following countries will only need a visa if staying longer than 3 months:
    Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Singapore, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela.
    If you plan to stay longer than 3 months, you have to apply for a visa in your home country.

  • As non-EU/EEA citizen, or if exempted (see above), you have to apply for a student visa, contact the German Embassy or the German Consulate General in your home country.  When you are accepted as PhD student by FIRST and you have a FIRST-PhD supervisor, you will receive a letter of confirmation that you are accepted and with this you can apply for a student visa.  Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa when you already have a FIRST-PhD position been offered, you cannot convert the tourist visa to a residence permit once you are in Germany!  The visa is valid for 3 months, once you are in Frankfurt you need to convert it into a residence permit for the purpose of studying.  Please take into account that the visa application can take several months.

  • Please also note:
    - Generally, it is not possible to obtain a visa from a German mission other than in the home country. Exceptions apply only when a person’s country of residence is different from the country of nationality. In this case, the German mission in the country of residence will take care of the visa process.
    - The residence permit for Germany does not automatically allow you to travel within Europe.  This means if you are going to a conference within Europe, you will have to apply for a visa (if applicable) for travelling outside Germany.
    - If you leave Germany for longer than 6 months: the residence permit for Germany expires if you leave the country for more than 6 months. In this case, you have to apply for a new visa.

  • Accomodation:
    We will help you find accommodation when you arrive.  There is student accommodation available but needs to be booked in advance, the time you can stay is usually limited.