Strategy and Policy Board (SPB)
The SPB operates and coordinates FIRST. Its tasks are:
representation of FIRST
strategic decisions regarding the teaching programme
positioning FIRST within the PhD educational concepts of the University of Frankfurt
decisions regarding the funding of projects
quality assurance of the training and research programmes
appointment of members of the Teaching Committee responsible for the strategic management and policies concerning teaching aspects
The SPB is supported by the Advisory Board which also evaluates the progress made by the SPB.
Members are the the Speaker of FIRST Prof. Dr. Dieter Steinhilber, the Science and Teaching Coordinator Prof. Dr. Dorothee von Laer and the division leaders Prof. Dr. Dr. Gerd Geißlinger, Prof. Dr. Ingrid Fleming, Prof. Dr. Rolf Marschalek, Prof. Dr. Josef Pfeilschifter, Prof. Dr. Volker Dötsch, and Steffi Ley and Birgit Pless as student representatives.
This team will be responsible for .....
- standardisation of the student admission
- definition of requirements for the FIRST awards such as PhD, MD/PhD and FIRST Certificate
- definition of minimum and maximum periods of individual programme participation
- assessment methods
- procedures for dealing with misconduct as well as a complaints and appeals process
- the quality of the teaching staff
- regular evaluation of the successful acquisition od scientific skills and knowledge by the students
- ensuring the availability of leaning resources, information and feed-back systems within the consortium.
Operational Management Group (OMG)
Members of the OMG are the Science and Teaching Administrator (Dr. Brigitte Held), and 2 administrative assistants. Their tasks include:
- implementation of the Strategy and Policy Board decisions as well as those by the Teaching Committee
- internal coordnation of the reseach and training
- international visibility (web page, external communications)
- recruitment of excellent lecturers
- continual update of courses and seminars
- administrative handling of the PhD educational issues (credit points assignment etc)
- financial management
Fundraising- and Public Relation Team
The Fundraising and Public Relation Team is in charge of procurement of additional means for scholarships, Summer and Winter Schools etc from foundations and industry as well as the representation of FIRST. The team consists of Prof. Manfred Schubert-Zsilavecz, Prof. Theo Dingermann and Dr. Elthamash Israr, and any other FIRST-faculty member who wishes to contribute at this point.